On a recent project, I was tasked with building a portal application based on the Liferay server. Liferay is a portal server that provides content management, collaboration tools and social networking. As with any portal server product, you will need to add custom applications specific to your business. In my case, I needed to develop a set of custom portlets.
The following books helped me to get up to speed on Liferay. The books are listed in three different categories. The User’s Guide shows you how to use the Liferay portal server (creating users, publishing content, creating discussion forums etc). The Developer’s Guide is for adding custom portlets using Java. The Sys Admin guide is for administering the Liferay server.
Liferay User’s Guide
- Practical Liferay, by Poornachandra Sarang, Ph.D.
Liferay Developer’s Guide
- Liferay Portal Systems Development, by Jonas X. Yuan
- Portlet Programming, by Cameron McKenzie
Liferay Administrator’s Guide
- Liferay Portal Administrator’s Guide, by Richard Sezov
Also, don’t forget about the free resources available at Liferay.com:
- Liferay Portal Documentation, liferay.com