This document shows you how to set up a Netbeans Web project with SmartGWT.
- GWT 2.2+: http://gwt.google.com
- SmartGWT 2.4+: http://code.google.com/p/smartgwt/
1. Create GWT project using “webappcreator”
Open an MS-DOS window, type:
webappcreator -out c:\dev\testgwt org.demo.TestGwtApp
2. Create a new NetBeans project, using the following steps
- Select File > New Project
- In the Choose Project step, select
- Categories: Java Web
- Projects: Web Application with Existing Sources
- Click Next
- In the Name and Location step,
- Click the Browse… button for the Location. Browse to the directory that was created in Step 1: c:\dev\testgwt
- Click Next
- Click OK to rename the build file to nbbuild.xml
- In the Existing Sources and Libraries step, click Next
- In the second Existing Sources and Libraries step, click Browse for Web Pages Folder
- Select the directory: war
- Click Finish
3. Copy SmartGWT libs
Note: these JARs are only needed for compilation. Do not put in WEB-INF/lib.
Update the NetBeans project to include lib/smartgwt.jar
4. Update build.xml to include these paths at compilation time: project.classpath
5. Add Skins to host HTML page
In HTML host page
6. In host HTML page
Move the loading of module AFTER the isomorphic load. See below
var isomorphicDir = "testgwt/sc/";
7. Update MyApp.gwt.xml
<inherits name="com.smartgwt.SmartGwtNoTheme" />
Thanks. Please help. How to update build.xml? What I have to do?
No need to update the build.xml. The generated build.xml that you get with webappcreator is all you need.
where can I find these libs
and where should I copy these to, lost here.
You can download them from here:
Select the option “Download Smart GWT LGPL Edition”
Unzip and you fill find the files:
Copy these to your WEB-INF/lib directory
The zip also includes a quick start guide in the doc directory.
For more questions or support, you can post on the SmartGWT forum: http://forums.smartclient.com/forum/smart-gwt-technical-q-a
Good luck with SmartGWT. I used it on a project about 5 years ago. It was fun at the time, but I haven’t used it since.
I actually really like your videos on YouTube. That is where I learned JSP, JDBC from.
Can you please do a video on SmartGWT too. I am not able to find any resources for GWT on Net-beans, Most of them are on Eclipse and or in different language.
SmartClient form wont be as useful compared to a lecture from you as I am a total beginner.
Thanks for the video suggestion on SmartGWT. I’ll consider it for the future 🙂
You sir, are a lifesaver!!!
Have been trying to do this for almost a week now and this is the only thing that finally got me going from setting up the environment to actually coding.